The BMA’s Medical Ethics department are currently in the process of updating the BMA’s FGM guidance (2011) but are awaiting the secondary legislation on mandatory reporting and the FGM statutory guidance consultation. The direct link to this guidance is available here: http://bma.org.uk/-/media/files/pdfs/practical%20advice%20at%20work/ethics/femalegenitalmutilation.pdf
In addition, Health Education England has just produced an e-learning tool which had RCGP input and includes an introduction to FGM; communication skills for FGM consultations; legal and safeguarding issues regarding FGM in the UK; issues, presentation and management in children and young women; and issues, presentation and management in women and around pregnancy.
Some of the material from this has been packaged into a DVD for GPs and has just been sent out to all GP practices in England in a ‘Female Genital Mutilation Resource Pack’. The pack includes:
- Raising Awareness of Female Genital Mutilation – a training DVD developed by Health Education England, with materials from the existing ‘eLearning for Healthcare’ elearning modules
- Female Genital Mutilation Risk and Safeguarding – Guidance for professionals
- 2 copies of the Patient Information Leaflet in English, available to order from DH Orderline in other languages and English. All language versions are available to download on this page at NHS Choices.
- 2 copies of ‘A Statement Opposing Female Genital Mutilation’ also known as the FGM Health passport, available to order from Home Office or to download from NHS Choices
- FGM Enhanced Dataset: Implementation Summary for GP Practices – for further information please see www.hscic.gov.uk/fgm. Please note, all GP practices will be required to submit information under the Enhanced Dataset when treating patients who have FGM from October 2015, so we now have less than 6 months to support implementation.
Any questions about the resource pack should be directed to FGM@dh.gsi.gov.uk
Select from the drop-down list below to view an item from our news archives.